Pete Rock & Young Guru Talk About Audio Harmonics

I’d also like to mention that his list of equipment reads like a producer’s wet dream…

Akai MPC2000XL sampling workstation
Alesis Monitor One MK2 monitors
API 2500 stereo compressor
Apple Power Mac G5 computer
Digidesign Pro Tools 7, Digi 002 interface
E-mu SP-1200 sampler
Empirical Labs Distressor compressor/limiter
Fender Rhodes keyboard
Focusrite Octo Pre preamp
Genelec 1031 monitors
JBL LSR325P monitors
Neve VR console
Røde NT1000 condenser mic
Sony C-800G mic
Technics SL-1200 turntable


Before I sample anything into the MPC, I always EQ my sounds first,” Rock says. “I just use an old GLI Pro mixer that I got hooked up to the sampler. It's not a great mixer, but it has three basic bands that I can equalize on. If you want your sound to be heavy on the MPC, you need to EQ. For kicks, I have [tape] markers that I leave on the EQ knobs. The markers give me a range that are gonna make the kick boom. I have the same type of markers for the hi-hat and the snare. Every time I sample anything, I use those markers as a reference.
(via remixmag )


0 comments:

Clicky Web Analytics